Friday, April 29, 2011

Peacemaker's Ken Sande in Beirut: 3 great insights when talking Reconciliation, Jews, Muslims, Christians

Speaking of reconciliation amongst radically different persons (see previous blog post):


Okay, so a number of you who live in Cayman got out to the Peacemakers Conference in early April that I encouraged our church and many of you specifically to attend. Ken Sande, President of Peacemaker Ministries, was the speaker and did a fabulous job (I didn't attend the weeknight sessions as I'd gone through that training a couple times before...but did attend the leaders session while Katie attended the session geared for women).


I had a chance to speak with Ken while he was here and he was amped up (which for Ken means speaking just above the tone of your grandfather handing you a Werther's Original) about a trip to the Middle East, which he is currently on as I type. I just received this email from him, which I thought contained three brilliant insights if you're interested in peace between Jews and Muslims in the Middle East and the role God might very well be calling Christians to play or if you have a Muslim or Orthodox Jewish friend.


If you're keeping score, the insights that specifically struck me were: (1) The lack of a robust theology of reconciliation and how that might give Christians a unique opportunity; (2) The one-way mercy in Muslim theology; (3) His quotation of Isaiah 19 at the conclusion of the article as a vision that we can be confident will one day be fulfilled through Christ. 


(If you are further interested in this sort of thing, I'd encourage you to read a book called Blood Brothers by Michael Chacour. It's a Christian autobiographical page-turner with a personal touch that simultaneously gave me great understanding with re: to the origin and ongoing issues among Palestinians and Israelis).  Okay, here's Ken's email. Cheers...






April 28, 2011
Dear Friends,

By the grace of God, I arrived safely in Beirut, Lebanon, on Monday evening, April 25. The first two weeks of my trip were arranged by Manfred Kohl (who serves on our Board of Directors) and his wife Barbara, who wanted to introduce me and our three other companions to the rich history and spiritual dynamics of the Holy Land. They have planned an intriguing schedule of travel for us through Lebanon, Jordan, and Israel. At the end of this tour, Lord willing, I will fly on to Cairo to join Chip Zimmer (our VP of Global Ministries) for a week. We are looking forward to meeting with Christian leaders there and speaking at a conference of leaders from the Anglican, Coptic Orthodox, Evangelical, and Roman Catholic Churches.

My first day in Lebanon was an eye-opener. I spent most of Tuesday with the leaders of the Lebanese Society for Educational & Social Development (LSESD) and the Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (ABTS). One of the professors I met (
I will not give many names in my reports) was especially thoughtful; his remarks helped me begin to understand the delicate nature of Muslim-Christian relationships. Here is a bit of what he shared:
  • The historical enmity between Islam and Judaism derives in part from the fact that neither religion has a robust “theology of reconciliation.” This lack lies at the root of the thousands of years of unresolved hostility that have existed between Judaism and Islam, and between the many factions within Islam itself. What a powerful incentive this realization should be for all Christians to pray for the spreading of the gospel of Christ throughout the Middle East!
  • The Q’uran has a strong emphasis on the mercy that Muslims hope to receive from Allah. Mercy is wonderful, but it is “one directional.” It flows only from the high to the low, from the strong to the weak, from the master to the slave. It never flows both ways. Love, on the other hand, which is fully revealed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, is intended to be two-way. God loves us, and by his grace we can love him. By that same grace a slave and master can love each other, as can a poor man and a rich man, a weak man and a powerful man. Love opens the way for two-way relationships of mutual respect, care, responsibility, and equality, which are essential for a viable democracy. 
As I have reflected on this, I’ve realized that the spreading of the gospel in the Middle East, with its theology of reconciliation emphasized in the New Testament, could contribute to the rise of true peace. The love of God expressed in Christ can promote the healing needed for lasting democratic change.

And how might Muslims, especially those who are more moderate, be encouraged to embrace biblical concepts of reconciliation and love? First, as a result of prayer that God would move in their hearts through common grace to give them an understanding and appreciation for these qualities, which are so much a part of his character and glory (see Exod. 34:6-7). And second, by praying that the Lord would give his church in the Middle East and all believers around the world the grace to live out these qualities of love and reconciliation in our relationships with one another and with our neighbors, Muslim or otherwise.

The need for the church to lead by example hit me powerfully as I gave a lecture on biblical peacemaking at ABTS on Tuesday evening. While talking afterward with students, faculty, and local pastors, I learned that unresolved conflicts are wreaking havoc in many Christian marriages, churches, and ministries in Lebanon. I heard stories of divorces (sometimes high-profile church leaders), estranged families, domestic abuse, fragmented churches, and conflict in the workplace and with neighbors—and I was powerfully reminded of stories I hear when I speak in the U.S. and in other countries.

But the stakes here are especially high. If Christians here learn to live out the reconciling power of the gospel in their personal relationships, they can play a significant role in promoting reconciliation and healing among their Muslim neighbors.

So, please pray for the church here and for me as I travel through the region in the days ahead. Please pray that God would help me to discern what role he would like Peacemaker Ministries to play in this process. I want to learn from others’ experience and wisdom and discern ways that we might be able to work together to play some small part in fulfilling the prophecy in Isaiah:
In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria. The Assyrians will go to Egypt and the Egyptians to Assyria. The Egyptians and Assyrians will worship together. In that day Israel will be the third, along with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing on the earth. The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance.” (Isaiah 19: 23-25, NIV)
Yours in Christ,

Ken Sande

No comments:

Post a Comment