Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Sunday Follow-up: What's your idol?


This morning we continued our series in the Book of Malachi -- as I was privileged to preach on Malachi 2:10-12: Why can't we all just get along? The brilliant insight from this passage is that conflict arises less from what we do while we're together, but more from what we worship while we're apart.

We often bring into relationships, confrontations, discussions a silent partner, which are secret idols, that no one else realizes is radically influencing what we're saying & doing.

We need to identify & admit both real and potential idols if we hope to overcome them both with a holy love and through the cross. I promised this morning I'd post here an insightful list of possible idols as printed in Tim Keller's Gospel in Life Small Group Workbook (Tim Keller is so insightful when it comes to idols & their potential influence in our lives). So without further ado... enjoy (?????)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I have power and influence over others." (Power idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am loved and respected by ________." (Approval idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I have this kind of pleasure experience, a particular quality of life." (Comfort idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am able to get mastery over my life in the area of ________." (Control idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...people are dependent on me and need me." (Helping idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...someone is there to protect me and keep me safe." (Dependence idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am completely free from obligations or responsibilities to take care of someone." (Independence idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am highly productive and getting a lot done." (Work idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I a being recognized for my accomplishments, and I am excelling in my work." (Achievement idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and very nice possessions." (Materialism idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am adhering to my religion's moral codes and accomplished in its activities." (Religion idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...this one person in my life and happy to be there, and/or happy with me." (Individual Person idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I feel totally independent of organized religion and am living by a self-made morality." (Irreligion idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...my race and culture is ascendant and recognized as superior." (Racial/cultural idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...a particular social grouping or professional grouping or other group lets me in." (Inner ring idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...my children and/or my parents are happy and happy with me." (Family idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...Mr. or Ms. 'Right' is in love with me" (Relationship idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am hurting, in a problem; only then do I feel worthy of love or able to deal with guilt." (Suffering idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...my political or social cause is making progress and ascending in influence or power." (Ideology idolatry)
  • "Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I have a particular kind of look or body image." (Image idolatry)


No comments:

Post a Comment