Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Poem: Between the Pieces (Guest Blogger)


So I've been preaching through this amazing last book of the OT-- Malachi -- and one of the most important words that shows up again & again is covenant. Covenant appears here at a rate of 10x more frequently than almost every other OT book. Anywho, preached on Covenant & how understanding it helps us: (a) answer some of the most pressing questions concerning how God relates to man and (b) equips us for relationships most significant to us.

Afterward, a congregant sent me a poem they wrote in response to Genesis 15 and the Abrahamic covenant. There were some really thought-provoking lines. I'm tempted to say more but I'd rather it stand without any commentary on my end. Anywho, he gave me permission to post it here under the condition of anonymity (I didn't write it, I promise...unless it gets really good feedback. Then, yes, it was me).

Between the Pieces

How can I know God?
Living in the gap
Between what was said
And yet unanswered.

Count the stars
If you can
Believe and be counted
Believe and be counted
Righteous

Sacrifice slaughtered
Broken in two
Laid for a path

Darkness has fallen
But peace breaks through
As a blazing fire
Walks the path
Between the pieces

As the Son of the Fire
Was crucified
Between the pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment