Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tattoos & the Christian

Greek for "It is finished"
As our own kids and those of some good friends romped around our yard this past Sunday afternoon looking for plastic eggs, they discovered inside them your mainstream sugar supplements coated with colored dyes (each which are like a russian roulette of allergic reaction to our children) but also a copious amount of -- removable tattoos. Katie had stumbled upon a bunch of these and thought they'd be great for easter egg prizes. They also sparked a question with which I've been confronted frequently lately:


"By the way, what do you think about tattoos?" OR "What do you think about Christians getting tattoos?"


I don't have tatts myself, but next time I preach on Christian Liberty from 1 Corinthians 8, Romans 15 or otherwise, I hope/dream to wear those tattoo sleeves on my arms just to see how the church reacts. 


I do think, as Christians, we can be too quick to either say: "GRACE" and just assume the substitutionary death of Jesus automatically creates/entails a more relaxed outlook on all of life that permits pretty much anything; or say: "STOOPID" and demonize tattoo-wearing while either quoting a verse from Leviticus or just condescendingly giving someone the "Why would you do that?!" look. 


Let's instead engage with God's Word as we do some critical thinking on this subject. I managed to finally do so and I started to formulate a response - but then ran across a really helpful & biblically-serious old article I read in a Christianity & Culture publication called Critique (ed. by Dennis Haack)... and then managed to find that article on the interweb, which I've posted below. 


"Decorating or Desecrating the Temple?" by Travis Scott


Some quick thoughts on the above article:
(1) Don't click on the link if you ain't prepared for some serious engage-your-mind reading and reflection on this subject. This is not the one-minute read followed by "now I can get a tattoo!" sort of thing. He covers all the potential bases, some of which you likely never knew existed.
(2) I found fascinating the history of how various kinds of bodily marking and tattoos have been viewed by Christian cultures throughout history. Admittedly, Scott probably should reveal that there's more ebb than flow (more of a negative view toward the practice throughout history) - nevertheless, that there is even some very positive views taken by Christian leaders in different historical periods is interesting. 
(3) I also appreciated that this is written by someone who is inked. I think he is particularly fair, asks good questions of the reader, and the insights he shares at the end re: his experience with tattoos was revealing to yours truly. 

8 comments:

  1. I never really had a opinion on this matter and really enjoyed the material presented in the link and feel more informed if any questions arise in conversation, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmh very good read, I always wanted a Tat, but my christian convictions stopped me, whether that was from teaching or the Holy spirit's conviction I am still not sure. Might again consider getting one and at the same time ask God for clarity on the source of my conviction.It would however be a 'text' tatoo that reflects my belief in Christ...am i looking for justification by adding this last sentence???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think so, providing you are looking to glorify the Lord & are doing so with a clear conscience. As a Christian and knowing myself (in conjunction with Jeremiah 17:9: "The heart is deceitful above all things...who can understand it."), I am prone to mistrust my own heart when it comes to tattoos. Heck, I don't even necessarily feel comfortable. wearing a Christian t-shirt, which is temporary. Self-glory & vanity are like idol recepticles in my heart waiting to be filled - so accordingly, I better stay away because there would likely be some of that in there if I was to want/get a tattoo.

    But I absolutely acknowledge that it is not so for everyone. I think you hit it on the head: Ask God for clarity on the the source of your conviction and, perhaps as importantly, from whence this motivation is coming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Christian with tattoos, I know that I felt a great deal more conviction at the time of getting them, each with significant meaning and importance, than I do now, sporting them for the rest of my life. The meaning is no less true now than it was at the time, I just feel perhaps I could have done without displaying it. Just a thought for those perhaps considering getting inked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, well said. So good to hear from the point of view of those who are inked.

    Continues to fascinate me how much talk this subject generates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a tatoo of fozzie bear holding a scroll with "1 Peter 3:15". I always felt that was his life verse if he were real, and he was a pseudo-hero growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If true and you were willing to post pictures, that would receive full belly laughter. I hope it's true.

    Although giving a serious reason for one's hope with gentleness and respect sounds like something more up Rollf's alley than Fozzie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is informative, Thanks for sharing! I don't believe that having tattoo is being a sinner. There's even Christian temporary tattoos and it looks amazing. Check out: https://wannabeink.com/collections/christian

    ReplyDelete