Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Real Word: "FAITHIST" (*Use responsibly*)

Finally an -ist word we can all be proud of. No one wants to be called racist, sexist, bigamist, or polygamist (okay, unless you live in Utah -- I currently have no friends there). BUT then I came across this in the Shorter Oxford Dictionary (1900 pgs!!) while doing a bit of reading last week for a sermon on "Faith":

Faithist (n.) - A Member of a sect whose religion is based on a text given through divine or angelic revelation.

Hey, that's me! Finally, an -ist word Christians can legitimately use.

You can use it to encourage someone, "Jim is a true faithist in Christ" or for good-natured teasing toward an occasionally uppity Christian friend: "Dude, you're such a faithist."

That's all I got. I'm sure you can think of some better uses. Do tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment