Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pride & Humilty: Some Favorite Quotes

This morning during our worship service we took a look at a picture of pride & a picture of humility served up by Jesus himself in the Parable of the Pharisee & the Tax Collector (Luke 18: 9-14). I was looking over the wealth of quotes & stories I've collected over the years on pride & humility -- probably because I'm very 'familiar' with one of the two qualities (shhh...which one I'll never tell). I share with you some ones that have really impressed themselves upon me. Enjoy.

"Pride goes before destruction; a haughty spirit before a fall." - King Solomon, Proverbs 16:18

“Pride is seldom delicate, it will please itself with very mean advantages.” – Samuel Johnson, said through Imlac in Rasselas.


“God uses men and women who are weak and feeble enough to depend on Him.” - Hudson Taylor (Missionary)


In speaking to Brother Leo who felt down & out because of his own mediocrity and weightiness of sin, St. Francis says: “Leo listen carefully to me. Don’t be so preoccupied with the purity of your heart. Turn and look at Jesus. Admire Him.”


Thus far, Dr. Jekyll had been able to somewhat control his manifestations into Mr. Hyde & then back into Dr. Jekyll. Bu then, a turning point in the story occurs. Dr. Jekyll has actually been doing a lot of ‘good’ up to this point. “After all, I reflected, I was like my neighbors; and then I smiled, comparing myself with other men, comparing my active goodwill with the lazy cruelty of their neglect. And at the very moment of that vainglorious thought, a qualm came over me, a horrid nausea and the most deadly shuddering…I looked down; my clothes hung formlessly on my shrunken limbs; the hand that lay on my knee was corded and hairy. I was once more Edward Hyde.” - Dr. Jekyll in his letter to Mr. Utterson. Author Robert Louis Stevenson.


“Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts. It means freedom from thinking about yourself one way or the other at all.” William Temple


“Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God’s holiness and our sinfulness.” - Pastor C.J. Mahaney


“In God you come up against something which is in every respect immeasurably superior to yourself. Unless you know God as that—and, therefore, know yourself as nothing in comparison—you do not know God at all. As long as you are proud, you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.” - C.S. Lewis


Speaking of the character Rev. Dimmesdale in The Scarlet Letter: “Among many morals which press upon us from the poor minister’s miserable experience, we put only this into a sentence: ‘Be true! Be true! Be true! Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred.” - Nathaniel Hawthorne


“There are only two kinds of men: the righteous who believe themselves sinners; the rest sinners who believe themselves righteous.” - Blaise Pascal


“A humble man can do great things with an uncommon perfection because he is no longer concerned about incidentals, like his own interests and his own reputation, and therefore he no longer needs to waste his efforts in defending them.” - Thomas Merton


“Until you can listen to the praises of a rival without any desire to indulge in detraction or any attempt to belittle his work, you may be sure there is an unmortified prairie of egoistic impulse in your nature yet to be brought under the grace of God.” - Robert Louis Stevenson


“What we suffer from today is humility in the wrong place. Modesty has settled upon the organ of conviction; where it was never meant to be. A man was meant to be doubtful about himself, but undoubting about the truth; this has been exactly reversed. Nowadays the part of a man that a man does not assert is exactly the part he ought not to doubt – the Divine Reason…We are on the road to producing a race of man too mentally modest to believe in the multiplication table.” - G.K. Chesterton


“I am not what I ought to be; I am not what I would like to be. But I am not what I was: and by the grace of God I am what I am.” - John Newton (writer and composer of "Amazing Grace")







No comments:

Post a Comment