Monday, April 5, 2010

A Visit to Prison

Last night I was given the opportunity speak to and visit with male inmates at Northward Prison. An article I read (from a couple years back admittedly) said that there were more inmates per capita on Cayman than virtually all developed countries! This visit was possible through a prison ministry set up by a woman named Ms. Kathy (whom I haven't met but for whom I'm grateful). Ed Solomon, who has attended Sunrise and has been working with inmates for over a year now, asked me to give a message.

One of my main points was this: The key to your life's direction is how you respond to sin. I tried to communicate that, for years, I thought trying to make progress as a Christian was accomplished by sinning less. However, if you focus on trying not to sin, you will fail because sinning is part of who we are. As one inmate called out, "We were born in sin." Exactly.

But we grow through taking our sins to the cross -- even if, like on most days, it's more like dragging them to the cross. Confessing that sin and receiving and experiencing His forgiveness. These men basically ate up the message -- it was a message that the gospel of grace doesn't just apply to a one-time decision to 'accept Jesus' but applies to us every day of our life as we trust He continually & effectively forgives us.

So applying the key to my life's direction: How do I respond to sin. Really this is the only thing different from the direction of my life and the direction of many of these guys lives. And even that ability to respond is a gift from God. I was reminded this morning of what Paul says to his young friend, Titus, who is a pastor of the church in Crete:

At one time we also were foolish, disobedient, deceived, and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, not because of righteous things we have done, but because of His mercy. (Titus 3: 3-5).

I was very refreshed by my time with these men. Perhaps it is because God reminded me that without His merciful action in my life I still would be foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved -- hating and being hated. The difference is God's pursuit and my response (and again, even the response is a Divine gift).

So often I forget this and, when I do, relating to others becomes a labor as I go between feeling like I should be able relate to this person and the self-focused thought of "My life is different. Well done Ryan" [pats self on back]. But God was gracious enough to remind me and I pray He does again & again.

It was the English reformer, John Bradford, who in the 16th cent. watched a criminal walking to the gallows and said, "There but for the grace of God goes John Bradford." We would do well to repeat this same phrase to ourselves everyday when viewing the self-inflicted wounds of others: "There but for the grace of God goes (insert your name here)" while also praying diligently for God's grace to become active in their life.

I can't wait to visit these men once more -- after all, it should just as well be me in prison...if but for the grace of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment